Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/washcola/public_html/includes/DG_CM.php on line 1193
Washington County History & Landmarks Foundation
Washington County History & Landmarks Foundation
P.O. Box 274
Washington, PA 15301
724-225-2350
_CLOAKING
Home

Landmark Registry

Hill's Tavern

Hill's Tavern
Category: Public Landmark
Location: US 40, Scenery Hill

Originally known as Hill's Tavern, the Century Inn is the oldest tavern in continuous use on the National Road. It was built in 1794 by Stephen and Thomas Hill, founders of Hillsborough, now known as Scenery Hill. The solidly built two-and-a-half story is constructed with dressed stone in the Post Colonial vernacular with Georgian influences. Greek Revival and Italianate modifications were made over time. There is a full five-bay covered porch with rounded columns. A long stone rear wing houses the original kitchen which contains a large craned cooking fireplace. The inn continues to serve travelers and local visitors, both as a restaurant and inn. It is furnished with period pieces, many made by Western Pennsylvania cabinetmakers of the era. For a period in the early 1900s, the inn was known as Central Hotel. [p. 55 POP]

North Bethlehem Township
© 2017 Washington County History & Landmarks Foundation
website design by Digital Greys