Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/washcola/public_html/includes/DG_CM.php on line 1193
Washington County History & Landmarks Foundation
Washington County History & Landmarks Foundation
P.O. Box 274
Washington, PA 15301
724-225-2350
_CLOAKING
Home

Landmark Registry

LeMoyne, F. Julius House

LeMoyne, F. Julius House
Category: Public Landmark
Location: 49 East Maiden Street

Built in 1812, this three-story stone house was constructed for Dr. John Julius LeMoyne and his son Dr. Francis Julius LeMoyne, both medical doctors, as home, office and pharmacy. It was built in the Greek Revival style, with two front doorways (for private and professional use) and entrance porticoes, one with columns and the other with pilasters. Another feature of this style are the long narrow attic windows which were added at a later date. Dr. F. Julius was an outspoken opponent of slavery and ran for governor three times as an Abolition Party candidate. This property is recognized as a National Register Landmark as a stop on the Underground Railroad, the slave escape route. The house is operated as a museum and headquarters for Washington County Historical Society. [pp. 92-93 POP]

Washington
© 2017 Washington County History & Landmarks Foundation
website design by Digital Greys