Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/washcola/public_html/includes/DG_CM.php on line 1193
Washington County History & Landmarks Foundation
Washington County History & Landmarks Foundation
P.O. Box 274
Washington, PA 15301
724-225-2350
_CLOAKING
Home

Landmark Registry

Malden Inn

Malden Inn
Category: Residential Landmark/Farmstead
Location: Off US 40 East, on Malden Place, spur of Old National Road

Located west of West Brownsville, the Malden Inn served as a tavern and inn along the National Road. The massive home was constructed of cut stone laid in regular courses resembling Flemish bond on the facade and random fieldstone on the sides. The west portion was built in 1822 and the east portion in 1830, each with three bays. The gable ends support double bridged stone chimneys. Second stories were added to rear wings at a later date. A carved stone on the east portion shows a spread eagle with "Liberty" inscribed between its wings and Kreppsville, 1830" inscribed on the opposite side. The inn, built by Krepps who envisioned a surrounding village, was also known as the Kreppsville Inn. A stone barn at the rear of the inn to the west was used to stable drovers' horses. In recent times it was used as a bar-restaurant. [p. 54 POP]

Centerville Borough
© 2017 Washington County History & Landmarks Foundation
website design by Digital Greys