Centerville's era of significance is during its service to travelers along the National Road in the first half of the 19th century and continuing until travel was diverted by rail service and eventually the highway system. Centerville was founded in 1821 and plotted out by John Cleaver. It served as a central point between Washington and Uniontown as a stage coach stop along the National Road. Most of its buildings reflect unadorned vernacular brick Federal and Green Revival forms common along the pike. Two buildings situated close to the road which served as taverns and inns are the c. 1821 John Rogers Tavern and the c. 1835 Zephania Riggle Tavern. One of the most highly visible later structures is the Spanish Revival style c.1920 John Williams Service Station with its imitation tile roof.
Edited: 02-24-2019 21:48:21