Marianna's historic district is part of a very extensive commercial coal plant development built by Pittsburgh-Buffalo Company between 1906 and 1912. Its homes are reached by traversing tight winding roads rising up a hill overlooking the mine buildings on the banks of Ten Mile Creek. Included are more than 200 structures of yellow brick, fairly uniform in style, with variation in size dependent on the intended occupant - mine bosses or employees. In its time it was considered a model of excellence for a coal company town. Buildings included indoor bathrooms with tubs and hot water heaters and electricity available under the control of the company. All buildings are residential except two churches, a lyceum and former company store. Minor alterations have occurred over the years, mostly in the form of window sashes, soffit and fascia and porches and decorative trim. The all-brick buildings were unusal for a mining town, as most others were built of flimsy frame construction.
Edited: 01-19-2022 12:19:09