An 1872 John Blythe designed two-story, five-bay brick, the David Longwell house has distinctive Italianate styling. The house, which is enclosed by a wrought iron fence, has paired brackets and arched windows with wooden cornice moldings and keystones. It is asymmetrical with a projected ell containing a first floor bay with three windows. The recessed three bay has the main entry with segmented arch over the doorway surrounded by an etched glass transom and sidelights. It faces onto Chess Park, formerly the estate of Mary Wickerman Chess who laid out a plan of lots in 1831. The house was constructed for riverboat captain David Longwell and represents local architect Blythe's finest accomplishments in introducing this style to the Monongahela Valley.
Edited: 02-24-2019 23:21:33